How To Begin
If you already have either a 30-Day Emergency Permit or a valid CA teaching credential, and your fingerprints are already in the San Diego County Clearinghouse Database, skip to Step 5
***Fingerprinting and application for permit or credential are all done at the San Diego County Office of Education (steps 1-4)
1) Collect your official transcripts showing the conferral of a baccalaureate or higher degree from a regionally-accredited college or university (List of accredited schools).
You will be bringing these transcripts to the San Diego County Office of Education to apply for your credential or permit.
2) Satisfy the Basic Skills Requirement (List of requirements).
You will be bringing these scores to the San Diego County Office of Education to apply for your credential or permit.
3) Apply for credential or permit. Bring your official transcripts (step 1) and proof that you satisfied the Basic Skills Requirement (step 2) to the San Diego County Office of Education. After you submit your documents to the county, you will be given a link to apply and pay for the credential or permit online.
4) Fingerprint Clearance
For first-time credential or 30-day Emergency Permit applicants seeking fingerprint clearance for the Commission on Teacher Credentialing, the fee is $76 payable by money order or cashier's check, made payable to SDCOE. Print and fill out two copies of this form: 41-LS Fingerprint Form.
All candidates in our pool will also need to have their fingerprints in the San Diego County Clearinghouse database. The fee is $59 payable by money order or cashier's check made payable to SDCOE. Print and fill out two copies of this form: Clearinghouse Form.
If you are doing both types of fingerprinting, you may submit one money order or cashier's check for $135 made payable to SDCOE.
Click Here to schedule a fingerprinting appointment. Fingerprinting needs to be done at the San Diego County Office of Education.
If you think your prints might already be in the SD Clearinghouse database, please call the consortium coordinator at (858) 755-9301 x3678 to verify before getting them done again.
5) Complete Tuberculosis testing (Locations). We honor TB results that are dated within the past four years.
6) Complete the NCCSC employment packet (Click Here)
DO NOT MAIL OR EMAIL THIS PACKET IN - MUST BE SUBMITTED IN PERSON. The packet is 55 pages total, but only 14 or so of the pages actually need to be printed and filled out. The pages in the packet we need are 1,2,3,7,11,14,17,18,19,20,21,32,33,40. You will also need to fill out page 41 if you are a retiree returning to work. The rest are for your information. All required pages must have original signatures. DIGITAL signatures will not be accepted.
7) Bring the following items to the NCCSC office between 7:30am-3pm M-F (Map)
Driver's License - Original. We will verify and make a copy
Social Security Card - Signed Original. We will verify and make a copy
Copy of TB results
*** DO NOT MAIL OR EMAIL ANY OF THESE DOCUMENTS. MUST BE SUBMITTED IN PERSON***
8) After your packet has been reviewed, your fingerprints and credential/permit has been verified, you will be scheduled for the next available orientation. Please see the Training tab for the next steps.
*******If you are a Retiree returning to work, please click on this link for important information you need to know before you can work (Click Here)