NORTH COUNTY COASTAL SUBSTITUTE CONSORTIUM
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. How much does it cost to become a guest teacher?
The total cost for becoming a guest teacher can be up to $280 including the SDCOE application, CBEST fee, and fingerprinting. The district will not reimburse these costs even if you are hired.
2. I have been fingerprinted in the past for another district/organization. Will I need to be fingerprinted again?
Possibly. Our consortium requires fingerprints to be in the San Diego County Clearinghouse Database. If you think your prints might already be in the database, please call the consortium coordinator at (858) 755-9301 x3678 to verify.
3. How is a Substitute Employee categorized in Human Resources?
Substitute personnel may be employed on an on-call, at-will, day-to-day basis. Substitute employees may be hired at any time during the school year and can be dismissed at any time at the Consortium's discretion.
4. I had an Emergency 30-Day Emergency Permit that has expired; how do I renew it?
To renew a 30-Day Emergency Permit, click here.
5. When I renew my credential/permit, do I need to be fingerprinted again?
Once you hold a credential/permit from CTC you will not have to be fingerprinted again, unless your credential/permit has been expired for more than 18 months.
6. I have a credential issued from a state other than California; what do I need to do?
In California, all teaching, services, and administrative credentials are issued by the CTC. Although you may apply directly to CTC for a California credential based on a teaching credential from another state, we recommend making an appointment with the San Diego County Office of Education to assist you with the fingerprinting and paperwork. The requirements for a California teaching credential based on an out of state teaching credential may be found on the CTC website. CTC takes approximately 50 days to process an application. A representative at SDCOE can better assist you with this process.
7. Do all school districts within the North County Coastal Substitute Consortium pay the same?
Yes, the pay rate for guest teachers starts at $180 per day for any full day assignment. The pay for a half day is $90 and the long-term pay is $195/day starting on the 11th day of a consecutive assignment.
8. How long does it take to get a 30-Day Emergency Permit?
If you have no criminal history the permit will usually be issued within 10 business days from the time the application process was completed.